Monday, July 3, 2017

DR. SIKIRU AYINDE BARRISTER


Back in '83, '84, every Tuesday night I would listen to Bram van Splunteren's radioshow Moondogs, he would play all sorts of stuff, kinda like the John Peel radio show and I would often record stuff from there (and I wish I still had all those cassettes)....

Well, one night he played a type of music that I had never heard before, Fuji music by Haji Kollington and his Fuji '78 Organization . And it just hit me in the face, I was overwhelmed. I was already collecting Fela Kuti records back then but this stuff, Fuji music was even more swinging, more driven and I started looking for it everywhere, but where ever I went, all the record stores I could find, nobody even knew what it was, "Fuji??" "Is that from Japan???"....

Years later I did manage to find one record, from Dr. Sikiru Ayinde Barrister, a great record but unfortunately it got lost (I've learned the hard way that you NEVER lend your records to anybody)....

Anyway, I was going through some very old tapes a few days ago and what do you know??? I recorded that album (plus a cd from Barrister) years ago. I put the tape in water for a few days and the sound is great now, so I'm sharing it with you now. I don't know the title of the album and I don't know the title of the songs but this is some GREAT Fuji music and I've never seen this shared anywhere on the internet.....

For more Fuji music you can go to the excellent http://www.globalgroovers.com/ ....

GET YOUR FUJI MUSIC HERE

enjoy!!!

6 comments:

  1. thanks, henk! i'll check this one out. fyi, this is my favorite youtube channel for fuji, apala, juju, etc.... a ton of really great vinyls and some cassettes as well: https://www.youtube.com/user/EgbaAlake/videos

    btw, i've been meaning to share this tape with you: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZ19WdZwvzrmFzvttpi6xA3NBGFHXQhQGGy

    i cant find this particular tape anymore, but it was uploaded by this youtube user: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX3bnq-DF7Xo0KaXBHW7HJA/videos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put the tape in water for a few days and the sound is great now...

    So intrigued by this. Cassette? Reel to Reel? How did you come up with this idea, what is the actual procedure, what is the effect produced, and what are the symptoms addressed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips Eric, very grateful!!!

    Cassette, and a very old one, they gather dust and dirt so the sound gets really bad, put 'em in water, just clear water for a day, maybe two days, open the casing and let it dry and voila, you've got a much better sound!

    Learned that one from one of the old cassette sellers here.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. And downloading that tape now, music from Iraq.... hmmmh....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dank je mucho, Henk.
    Fuji muziek s fijn, maar apala vind ik nog lekkerder. Zoals al hajji Haruna Ishola en Ayinla Omowura. Die kennen wel trommelen, die Nigerianen. En zingen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nigeria is 1 van de meest ongelovelijke landen wat muziek betreft, Fela fan sinds '81, maar Fuji is echt 't meest prachtige voor mij :)

    ReplyDelete